Monday, January 21, 2013

Whom will we forget today?



St. Agnes, Virgin and Martyr

Ecce, quod concupivi, iam video: quod speravi, iam teneo
--Behold, He whom I desired, I now see: Him, in whom I hoped, I now possess. 
Antiphon, Lauds  

O Almighty and everlasting God, who dost choose the weak things of the world, to confound the strong, mercifully grant, that we who celebrate the solemnity of blessed Agnes, Thy virgin and martyr, may experience her intercession with Thee.

 Beáta Agnes in médio flammárum expánsis mánibus orábat: Te déprecor, omnípotens, adoránde, colénde, Pater metuénde, quia per sanctum Fílium tuum evási minas sacrílegi tyránni, et carnis spurcítias immaculáto calle transívi: et ecce vénio ad te, quem amávi, quem quaesívi, quem semper optávi.

Blessed Agnes, in the midst of the fire, stretched forth her hands unto the Lord and said: I call on thee, O Father Almighty, august and dread, for by thy holy Son's protection, I did escape the threats of a godless tyrant, and was made to walk with clean feet  through the filthy slough of fleshly sin; and now behold, I come unto thee, whom I have loved, whom I have sought, whom I have alway desired.

  Antiphon, Vespers

No comments: